Sunday, January 10, 2010

Nadine's Kindle

I am a bookworm and have always been a bookworm ever since I was old enough to read. I think my love of reading came from both of my parents as I grew up with them reading and books around the house.

I can never have enough time to read. When I was little, on my summer vacations I would take a trip to the library and borrow an armload of books. Two weeks later I would be back getting more books. Sometimes I would hop on my bike and take a trip to our other town library to see if there was new reading material there.

And to this day, I am still voraciously reading. I read on my lunchbreak at work (I get an hour for lunch). I read at home if there's nothing on TV and sometimes will read even if there is something on. I'll read before going to sleep, though sometimes that can run me into trouble.....before I know it I'll look at the clock and it'll be way past my sleeptime! I sometimes feel like that Twilight Zone episode, the one with Meredith Burgess who never had enough time to read! Steve says I always have my nose stuck in a book!

I devour books, depending on how thick the book is, I'll sometimes read one in a week. I was buying my books (used) off of Amazon, until I started running out of space to store them. Someone once said "well, sell them!" Never!! The books I have are all my favorites and I read them over and over again. One of my all time favorites, Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" I probably have read at least six times. I then decided to get a library card (luckily the library in Providence is right on my way to work and within walking distance from my house) and if I read a book that I really loved, I would order it through Amazon to have for my own personal library.

I had briefly mentioned to Steve a while back about the Kindles and what they were about. I never really wanted one, because I'm just so used to holding a real book in my hand, and after I told him, I never gave it another thought. This Christmas, Steve surprised me with my very own Kindle!!

resized

I have to say that I didn't know what to think of it at first, because like I said, I'm used to a paper book. But as I started looking at it and learning about it, I got more excited about it.

My Kindle is the DX model, which is the newest model out. It can hold up to 3,500 books (will I ever run out of room on it? lol!!) It has WhisperNet on it, which means that when you want to buy a book, you go on the Kindle store at Amazon right through your Kindle, buy the book you want (books range in price from $9.99 right down to free) and within seconds your book is downloaded onto your Kindle. No waiting time for shipping and also no shipping and handling charges. You also have limited access to the internet and full access to Wikipedia, which is good for me, because I'm always researching the historical figures and places I read about.

The Kindle is pretty lightweight, which means less weight in my shoulder bag I use to haul my lunch, book and shoes back and forth to work (I walk to work in the mornings and when it's warm out I walk home). Another thing I love is that I don't have to haul around two books....sometimes, if I'm close to the end of a book and know that I would finish it on my lunchbreak, I would have to also bring the next one that was on my TBR list. Last week, I finished one book, downloaded the next one and started right into reading that one, and all I had to carry to work was just my Kindle!!

Another feature to the Kindle is that the size of the font can be adjusted, which is another good thing for me. When I go to have my hair colored, I always bring a book with me to read while the color is processing. I wear glasses, and am blind as a bat without them, but would have to read without my glasses to avoid getting color all over them. I'd be sitting there in the chair with the book practically touching my nose and squinting like crazy. This past appointment, I had my Kindle and adjusted the font size to the largest and was able to read with relative ease.

I already have four books downloaded onto it with many more on my "to be downloaded" list. Since I've gotten this Kindle, I've already devoured two books and am halfway through the third one. The first book I downloaded was
Photobucket
a wonderful historical fiction romance set in the time of Edward IV's reign in the 15th century.

This is what the main menu looks like
resized
The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no way to organize your books. I would like to be able to have folders so that I could categorize and put my books into them. Like, say, a folder for Henry VIII, and I could have all books relating to him and his wives in it. Or a folder that I could put certain books that are part of a series into. But I have heard that Amazon is working on this and should (hopefully) have software updates available sometime this year.

Soon after getting my Kindle, I realized I needed a cover for it, so that it would not get damaged from handling it all the time.
resized
Then I just needed to get a skin for it so it could be all jazzed out (and also to protect further from scratches)!
resized
I have to say, after having my Kindle for about three weeks, that I'm just loving it and the idea of being able to carry around my whole library!!

12 comments:

  1. I just had my comment all typed up and blogger was stupid and I lost it all. :( Let's see if I can remember what I said! I'm like you and read all the time. Any spare moment I have I have my nose in a book. Like you, I was skeptical about the Kindle with the same misgivings you had. But after your "review" I think I might like it! The only problem I have is that I am not one to read a book more than once unless I really LOVE it. Like head over heels kind of thing. Same with movies. Once I've read it or seen it, reading or watching it again gets boring. However, if I could download the MCAT study material then it might be just what I need. And if I can download the Bible then it may motivate me to start reading it more. I'll definitely have to look into it. LOVE the skin. It is very you. I'm so glad you have your own blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, if you borrow books from your local library to read, the Kindle is not for you then. Libraries usually only loan ebooks out on the Sony E Reader. I do know that you can buy textbooks for the Kindle, so this might be useful for you once you get into medical school, you wouldn't be hauling a ton of books to classes with you! You can also highlight and take notes on the Kindle.

    Best thing for you to do to see if a Kindle is right for you, google Kindle forums and see what others have to say about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear the Kindle is working out well for you. I had no idea the books were so cheap to download. Definitely a good investment!

    And I love the skin you choose... too cute!

    -Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Holly, I just had to choose that skin.....shoes for the Shoequeen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, I admire your love of reading. I haven't read voraciously like that in years. Can't sit still long enough. I gave the Kindle to my daughter for her birthday and she LOVES it.

    It seems they would have thought ahead to allow organization of books. Glad they're coming out with an update for that. I was also surprised that there wasn't a backlight built in. What if you wanted to read in bed with the lights off?

    Enjoy your new toy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, I'm surprised too about the lack of organization, you would think that they would have something like that on the third model!! Also, regarding the backlight, reading the Kindle is supposed to mimic reading a real book, hence the black and white and lack of colored pictures. I've read that if they did have a backlight, it would strain your eyes. They do sell little lamps made specifically for the Kindle that attached right to the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that makes sense! I think my daughter did mention that to me. I am just used to my iPhone Kindle which does have a backlight. I still haven't read an entire book on it, though. There are free classics you can download. Are you interested in those?

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of classics are we talking about? I strictly stick to historical fiction of England, from the early 1700's on back. I had one author, Helen Hollick, who wrote some excellent historical fiction about King Arthur and Queen Emma, who tried to get me to read her pirate series (mid-1700's), and I just could not do it, haha, no matter how hard she tried to get me to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds fantastic, are they available in other countries? When I moved to a smaller house about 5 years ago I had to get rid of hundreds of my books and it really broke my heart. These sound so practical for novels which really mount up, also I have heard of the Sony Reader which is similar.
    What a great present Steve chose for you, sounds perfect for an avid reader.
    Love your new blog :)
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynne, I'm not sure if they are available in the UK, you would have to go on Amazon UK to see. The only problem I'm having here is that none of the British authors (Helen Hollick, Elizabeth Chadwick, Victoria Anand) have their books in Kindle format!! So I will still have to buy actual books! And yes, the Sony Reader is similar to Kindle, but from what I've heard, people prefer the Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey ms Nadine,
    since when did you start a blog ???????? i'm loving it and that Kindle skin is sooooooooo U

    will be back later to read further. congrats and you must have a lot of free time girl!

    chikisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lilian, I've only had this blog about 2 weeks now, not sure about a lot of free time, maybe I'm just wisely using the little free time I have?? Hahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete